The Apple iPhone 4S is the same as the iPhone 4 on the exterior. But in the interior the things got changed. The 4S is dual core and the camera was upgraded too. Now take a look at its main features and then read the review for its specs.
- iOS 5 with iCloud integration
- Quad-band GSM and quad-band 3G support with 14.4 Mbps HSDPA and 5.76 Mbps HSUPA
- Dual-band CDMA and CDMA2000 1xEV-DO support
- 3.5″ 16M-color LED-backlit IPS TFT capacitive touchscreen of 640 x 960 px resolution
- Scratch-resistant glass front and rear, with fingerprint-resistant coating
- 1GHz dual-core ARM Cortex A9 CPU, PowerVR SGX543MP2 GPU, Apple A5 SoC
- 512MB of RAM
- Voice recognition, Siri virtual assistant
- 8 MP autofocus camera with LED flash and touch focus
- 1080p video recording at 30fps
- Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n, Wi-Fi hotspot
- GPS with A-GPS connectivity; digital compass
- 16/32/64GB storage options
- Accelerometer, proximity sensor and a three-axis gyro sensor
- Active noise cancellation with a dedicated secondary microphone
- Standard 3.5 mm audio jack, stereo Bluetooth v4.0
- Excellent audio quality
- Slim waistline at only 9.3mm
- Secondary front-facing VGA camera
- Built-in Picture and Video editors
- Rich AppStore
- New antenna design and improved signal reception in poor signal areas
Above the screen we have the same earpiece speaker, VGA camera and proximity and ambient light sensors. Under the screen there is the well known Apple home screen button. On the left side we find the same ring/silent button and the tiny volume knobs. With the new iOS 5 the volume up key acts as a shutter. On the right side it has only the microSIM card slot. At the top it has the 3.5mm jack, the power button and the dedicated microphone for active noise cancellation. Again at the bottom we have the Apple charger plus, the mouthpiece microphone and the loud speaker.
The iPhone 4S has the same deep blacks, sun light legibility, vibrant color and viewing angles at the display as the iPhone 4. In fact is the same display with a resolution of 640 x 960 pixels and a pixel density of 330ppi and protected by an oleophobic coating and Gorilla Glass.
Now if you see the camera you may want the 4S. It has an 8MP sensor with autofocus and LED flash. The sensor and lens are made by Sony so we must expect for better noise, colors, sharpness and white performance. The camera has features for pictures and videos like touch focus, geo-tagging, face detection, panorama, HDR, video light and video stabilization. The pictures quality is excellent; the colors are very good, there’s plenty of details and no noise can be seen.
At connectivity it has HSDPA and HSUPA 3G speed up to 14.4 Mbps respectively 5.8 Mbps, Wi-Fi with b/g/n standards, Wi-Fi Hotspot, Bluetooth v2.1 with A2DP and a microUSB v2.0 slot. The Safari browser is now even faster and it comes with Safari Reader too. The browser has a private browsing option which can be activated from settings.
The iOS 5 is upgradable to iOS 6. On the Apple A5 chipset is based the dual core Cortex-A9 processor clocked at 1 GHz and the PowerVR SGX543MP2 graphics processing unit which is very powerful. The internal storage has now 16, 32 or 64 GB. The amount of RAM memory is 512 Mb. The phone has accelerometer, gyro, compass, light and proximity sensors.
The 1430 mAh battery can hardly pass the one day life limit because the processing power is higher and its capacity is too low for it. It offers a standby time of 200 hours and a talk time of 14 hours.