The Apple iPhone 3GS wasn’t a revolutionary iPhone as it was expected. But it came with a boost of performance, a better battery life and a sharper camera than its predecessor iPhone 3G. Have a look over its main features:
- A faster 600MHz CPU and double the RAM at 256MB
- Noticeably faster performance
- Faster network speeds of HSDPA 7.2Mbps
- 3.2 megapixel auto focus camera with VGA@30fps video recording, touch focus with subject tracking, macro mode from as close as 10 cm
- Double the storage space – 3GS is selling in 16GB and 32GB versions
- Digital compass with automatic map orientation in Maps app
- Better audio quality (as recorded and analyzed in our office)
- Louder loudspeaker results (with performance gains primarily in music playback)
- Purportedly better battery life
- Oleophobic display coating supposed to make fingerprints easier to clean
- Voice Control, speaker independent. Can be use to call a phone number, play music by song/album/artist name, shuffle music
- Built-in support for Nike+ jogging system
- TV-out outputs 480p instead 480i resolution
- Text-to-speech feature called VoiceOver is included in the new Accessibility menu
- System-wide Screen Zoom is also included in the Accessibility menu
The right side of the phone is completely bare. The left side has the volume keys and a small button which turn the phone on silent mode. At the top it has the SIM car slot, the power button and the 3.5mm jack. At the bottom it has the mouthpiece microphone, the loud speaker and the charger plug. On the back of the phone we can see the big Apple logo and the camera.
The TFT display has 16 million colors and a resolution of 320 x 480 pixels. It measures 3.5 inches in diagonal and it has a pixel density of 165ppi. The display supports multitouch and it is protected by Gorilla Glass and by an oleophobic coating. The iPhone 3GS has warmer colors than the 3G but the sun light legibility is still a bit poor. The phone measures 115.5 x 62.1 x 12.3mm and weighs 135 grams.
The camera has 3MP and autofocus. The main features of the camera are geo-tagging and touch focus. The image quality is ok for a 3MP snapper; the images are sharp with good details and the colors are balanced. The camera can record VGA videos at 30 fps. The video quality is decent too.
At connectivity it has 3G HSDPA speeds up to 7.2 Mbps, Wi-Fi with b/g standards, Bluetooth v2.1 with A2DP and a microUSB v2.0 slot. The safari browser has HTML language and it can remember passwords and auto-fills data.
The iPhone 3GS come out of the box with iOS 3 but now that iOS 6 appeared, Apple claims that the 3GS can support the update to their last OS and it will still work fine. It has a Cortex-A8 processor clocked at 600 MHz and a PowerVR SGX535 GPU which are helped by an amount of 256 Mb of RAM. The internal memory can have 8, 16 or 32 GB depending on which one you choose.
The battery has 1400 mAh and offers a standby time of 300 hours and a talk time of 12 hours. Apple has exaggerated; in real life used day by day the phone can reach the 1 day limit but no more if you don’t stop the 3G connections.