The Sony Ericsson Xperia Active is a cute little smartphone with IP67 certificate. It’s another rugged phone but this time from Sony Ericsson and it wants to compete against the Defy. Before we see if it is a good competitor take a look at its main features:
- Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE support
- 3G with 7.2 Mbps HSDPA and 5.76 Mbps HSUPA
- 3.0″ 16M-color LED-backlit LCD capacitive touchscreen of HVGA resolution (320 x 480 pixels) at around 192ppi
- Bravia Mobile engine
- Dust and water resistant, wet-finger tracking
- Dual back cover design for increased protection
- Arm case and wrist strap in the bundle
- Android OS v2.3 Gingerbread
- 1 GHz MSM8255 Snapdragon processor
- 512 MB RAM
- 5 MP autofocus camera, single LED flashlight, Geo-tagging, image stabilization, smile detection, touch focus
- 720p video @ 30fps
- Wi-Fi b/g/n, Wi-Fi hotspot functionality and DLNA
- GPS with A-GPS, Wisepilot navigation
- microSD slot (32GB supported, 2GB card included)
- Accelerometer and proximity sensor, notification LED
- Standard 3.5 mm audio jack
- Stereo FM radio with RDS
- TrackID music recognition
- Relevant package of apps
- MicroUSB port (charging) and stereo Bluetooth v2.1
- Adobe Flash 10.3 support
- 1200mAh Li-ion battery
Full specs on the official site here.
Above the screen we find the proximity and light sensors, the ear piece speaker and a status LED. Under the screen it has three capacitive buttons: back, home and menu. On the right side it has the volume rocker keys and the dedicated camera button with half press for autofocus. On the left side we find the power button. On the top of the phone there is nothing to see but at the bottom we find the 3.5mm jack and the microUSB port both sealed with air-tight lids.
The display measures 3 inches and I has LED-backlit technology with BRAVIA Mobile Engine. The screen is scratch resistant and it can respond even to wet fingers. It has a resolution of 320 x 480 pixels and 192ppi. The displayed image has good quality with good contrast and crisp colors. The sun light legibility is excellent.
The Xperia Active has a 5MP camera with autofocus and LED flash. As features it has geo-tagging, touch focus, face detection and image stabilization. The image quality is good with nice color reproduction and low noise levels but the details aren’t impressive. The camera can record 720p videos and the LED flash can be used while shooting. The camcorder supports continuous autofocus.
At connectivity the phone has 2G EDGE speed up to 237 Kbps, 3G HSDPA and HSUPA speeds up to 7.2 Mbps respectively 5.8 Mbps, Wi-Fi with b/g/n standards, DLNA, Wi-Fi Hotspot, Bluetooth v2.1 with A2DP + EDR and a microUSb 2.0 slot. The browser has Adobe Flash support and it does a good job. You will have no problems viewing 720p videos on YouTube.
The chipset is a Snapdragon MSM8255 from Qualcomm. The 1GHz Scorpion processor with the Adreno 205 GPU are making all the hard work but they are helped by an amount of 512 Mb of RAM. From the 1 GB internal storage are available for installing apps 320 Mb. You can extend the storage up to 32 GB through a microSD card. The phone has, compass, accelerometer, light and proximity sensors.
The battery has 1200 mAh but it gives the phone a good battery life. Pushed at its maximum powers the phone can last one day without charging using 3G and Wi-Fi connection, browsing, taking photos and making calls.