The HTC Desire Z is a business smartphone. It has a hardware QWERTY keyboard and sober design with brushed aluminum parts. Here are the main features of the Desire Z:
- Quad-band GSM and dual-band 3G support
- 14.4 Mbps HSDPA and 5.76 Mbps HSUPA
- 3.7″ 16M-color capacitive S-LCD touchscreen of WVGA resolution (480x 800 pixel)
- Android OS v2.2 Froyo with HTC Sense UI
- Comfortable 4-row QWERTY keyboard
- 800 MHz Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM7230 processor
- 512 MB RAM and 1.5 GB ROM
- 5 MP autofocus camera with LED flash and geo-tagging
- 720p video recording @ 25fps
- Wi-Fi b/g/n and DLNA
- GPS with A-GPS
- microSD slot up to 32GB (8GB card included)
- Accelerometer and proximity sensor
- Standard 3.5 mm audio jack
- Stereo FM radio with RDS
- microUSB port (charging) and stereo Bluetooth v2.1
- Optical trackpad with confirm action
- Quick boot
- Metal finish
- Smart dialing
- DivX/XviD support
- Very good audio reproduction quality
On the left side of the phone we find the microUSB slot and the volume keys. On the right side it has only the dedicated button for camera. On the front on the bottom of the screen it has the touch sensitive controls: home, menu, back and search; under the screen it has an optical trackpad for more accuracy. The battery cover is made from aluminum.
The hardware part is formed from a Qualcomm MSM7230 chipset, an 800 MHz Scorpion processor and an Adreno 205 GPU. The amount of RAM has 512 Mb and the internal storage has 1.5 GB. You can attach a microSD card to the phone up to 32GB and expand its storage. Accelerometer, proximity and compass sensors are present as always on any smartphone.
The Desire Z has a 5MP camera but don’t get your hopes to high from a business phone. It takes decent pictures and it has autofocus, LED flash, geo-tagging and face detection. The camera can shoot videos at 720p and 30 fps. Although it is a business phone and you would need a secondary camera for video calls the Desire Z doesn’t have one.
The 3G speed can reach 14.4 Mbps HSDPA and 5.76 Mbps HSUPA. Wi-Fi supports b/g/n protocols, DLNA and Hotspot, Bluetooth is v2.1 with A2DP and the microUSB is v2.0. The browser has Adobe Flash support and it runs very good. Also the Desire Z has stereo FM radio with RDS and GPS with A-GPS support. It comes only in one color, black.
The display has 3.7 inches and supports a resolution of 480×800 pixels and a pixel density of 252ppi. It is S-LCD type and supports multitouch. It is protected by Gorilla Glass screen. It weighs 180 grams and has 119×60.4×14.2mm.